Cameroonian authorities have denied abandoning victims of the deadly landslides in the capital, Yaoundé.
Sunday’s landslide in the low-income Mbankolo neighbourhood left at least 31 people dead and destroyed homes, displacing families.
The local administrator in charge of coordinating emergency assistance said people complaining of not having a place to stay had chosen not to go to the temporary accommodation provided by the government.
Daouda Ousmanou told that some homeless victims opted to join their family members elsewhere, while about 16 others were being taken care of at a centre several kilometres away from the disaster site.
“These people are taken care of, but not all the victims are at the resettlement site,” he said.
But some victims have said they still have not received any aid.
“All persons listed receive their aid after in-depth verification,” insisted Mr Ousmanou, adding that other people from elsewhere had been claiming the government aid.
So far, Cameroonian authorities say about 40 families have received assistance from the government, and more had been expecting to get theirs on Wednesday.